Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Eggs

Growing up I never liked eggs. I think I was mostly given scrambled eggs or omelets. I've just never liked the texture so I avoided eating eggs. Last semester at Queens College, I took my first cooking class. We cooked eggs in a variety of ways including hard boiled, soft boiled and poached. I had never tried poached eggs before but I love them now. I had to practice making them at home. Our final exam for the class was cooking our own eggs Benedict. I have been ordering poached eggs when I eat out and cooking it at home as well. I like them with toast and a side of hash browns.

I believe in using my choices as a consumer to support farming and agriculture practices that I support. I buy organic, free-range/cage-free, humane verified, and non gmo whenever possible. So the eggs I buy from the local grocery store usually look something like this:























The recipe for poached eggs that I was given in class and have been following at home is as follows:
The Perfect Poach
-2 large eggs
-1 1/2 teaspoons white vinegar

Break the eggs into individual cups. Fill a pot halfway with water. Add vinegar, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Swirl water in the pan creating a whirlpool or vortex. Pour the eggs into the vortex, remove pot from heat and cover with a lid. Allow the eggs to sit for 3-4 minutes. White should be set or firm, yolk should be giggly and runny.

This morning I made breakfast: Poached eggs with whole grain toast, a hash brown and banana slices

As I continue to cook and learn about food I have found I also like my eggs over-easy. It took me a week or so to get the flipping right but over-easy eggs are quick and may be easier than poached.

Get a frying pan hot with butter. When the butter stops bubbling add one egg. I tilt the pan to keep the egg in on spot on the edge. The hard part is flipping which I got down with a bit of practice. some pepper and toast go great with over easy eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment