Thursday, February 12, 2015

Almond Milk


   When I first went vegan, I had to find a replacement for milk on my cereal. I tried soy milk and didn't like the taste. I'm so glad I found almond milk! It's delicious and good for you. You don't have to be a vegan to get nutrients from almond milk! I personally prefer the vanilla flavor, but original or plain is better for cooking with it. Silk almond milk is my regular brand. They use non-GMO verified almonds from California.

Did you know almond milk actually has more calcium than dairy milk?

Non-flavored Almond milk would be the healthiest choice of course, but even flavored almond milks have more calcium and fewer calories than milk from a cow.

I have made my own almond milk before with my Grandmother. It takes alot of almonds! But it was delicious! When I did it, we didn't use any cinnamon or honey, but I really liked these step-by-step pictures and instructions on How to Make Almond Milk.

I am interested in finding out where my food comes from. That journey has largely driven my desire to find plant-based alternatives to animal products. I think the typical American diet is too high in animal products.We need to have more concern with how the animals are treated, if not to be humane, then surely for the quality of the products we consume. Buying these dairy alternative products shows consumer demand for a plant-based dairy replacement. This is a small way I can use my purchasing choices to have a voice, to say I want alternative options to be available.

No comments:

Post a Comment