Saturday, April 16, 2016

Sun Salutation

A sun salutation is a series of poses in yoga that flow together in a cyclical manner. My yoga class usually starts with some form of sun salutation. I find it helpful as a morning routine to wake me up, find my focus, and feel more balanced throughout the day.

To start, I breathe in, looking
and reaching up in mountain pose


As I exhale I move my hands down to Anjali mudra

With my next breath in, I get into Plank or Phalakasana

Then I touch the mat with my knees chest and chin
for Caterpillar or Ashtanga Namaskara
I stretch out into Cobra or Bhujangasana

Breathing In, I form a crescent shape 
with my back for Cow pose or Bitilasana


Breathing Out, I flatten my feet and 
arch my back in Cat pose or Marjaryasana












I repeat Cat and Cow a few times, focusing on the flow of breath with the movements:


I enter into Child's pose or Balasana for a brief moment


Then into Downward Facing Dog or Adho Mukha Svanasana


I usually do some leg stretches while in downward dog:

Lunge Forward
Warrior II or Virabhadrasana II

I take Peaceful Warrior or
Shanti Virabhadrasana into a stretch
I lunge again, twisting to open my shoulders into
Revolved Side Angle or Parivrtta Parsvakonasana

I tilt forward into Warrior  III or Virabhadrasana and hold it as long as I can
Then I repeat the process on the other side (for my right leg in this example)

Namaste 

No comments:

Post a Comment